|Cameron Park, Easton Street, Booval Qld. P.O. Box 622, Booval Qld 4304 Phone 3281 6756 Fax 3202 1709|
The boys of Ipswich were among the first pioneers in the Scout Movement in Australia.
Major C.A.H. Watson who was the Head Teacher at the Central Boys School, established the 1st Ipswich Scout Troop in 1910, exactly three years after it started in the UK in 1907.
The Scouts met at the Drill Hall in Queen's Park. (named in Honour of HRH Queen Victoria).
In 1956 there were Scout Groups at 2nd Ipswich [now Queens Park], 4th Woodend, 5th Booval, Brassall, 6th North Ipswich, 7th St. Mary's, 8th Basin Pocket, 9th Latter Day Saints, Dinmore-Riverview, Rosewood, Boonah, Bremer, Leichhardt and Harrisville.
In 1957, it was decided to divide the former County into Districts. LIMESTONE was the name given to Groups on the south side of the Bremer River and FLINDERS, the name for Groups on the north side of the Bremer and out to Harrisville and Boonah.
Vince Preston a former Scouter and current BP Guild member submitted this article. (Note. Some minor additions and alterations have been made.)
© Scout Assoc of Aust Qld Branch Inc - Moreton Region Last Updated 28/10/2004